Photo credit: Gale by Eliazar Parra Cárdenas
Last April 4, Ministry of Economy published Draft of Mexican Standard for rendering telecommunication services (PROY-NOM-184-SCFI-2011). This Draft is subject to a 60-day period of public consultation.
This Standard will rule general regulation, commercial information and adhesion contracts for all telecommunication services rendered through public networks.
The current highlights of this standard are:
1. Terms and conditions of the contracts will be written and express.
2. Adhesion contracts will be registered before the Consumer Protection Agency (PROFECO).
3. Specific obligations of information to costumer are included.
4. Telecom providers cannot be released from rendering services or liabilities.
5. Penalties of the contracts must be reciprocal and equivalent for both parties.
6. Specific guaranty obligations are set.
7. PROFECO will verify this standard.
The proceeding is not over yet. This struggle between Telecoms and PROFECO has lasted for a very long time. COFETEL is sharing that responsibility too with MyCofetel Project to receive and manage claims on telecom services. I am thrilled to see the final outcome. Who knows? Maybe it is time to bury that hatchet …